Saturday, November 21, 2009

Trip to Arizona

As you know from one of my previous posts, my mom made a CD for her friend, Kristi, that has lung cancer. Well, she wanted to give the CD to Kristi personally, so my mom, my sister, and me left early last Friday morning and headed for Phoenix. The majority of my extended family lives in Arizona, so we were excited to see everyone. To make things even better, we found out my brother who lives in St Louis was going to be in Phoenix for work that weekend. So we got there around 5pm and saw my Grandpa Swanson, Aunt Diane(my dad's sister,) Uncle Tony and their kids. They fed us a delicious dinner, and then we left to go see Jordan at his hotel. It was so good to see him. I hadn't seen him in almost a year. So we all sat and talked and caught up on everything.

Me, Grandpa, and Laura

Me, my cousin Alex, and Laura

Me, Jordan, Aunt Diane, and Laura

The next day we went to lunch with a bunch of my mom's friends from high school. Kristi was supposed to go with us, but she was feeling too terrible to go. My mom went to go see her after and show her the CD. Laura and I decided to let them have some time together, so we decided to go.....SHOPPING! There is this store there that is called Last Chance. It is clothes and shoes from Nordstroms that go to Nordstrom Rack and then they end up at last chance. Why they don't have one here in Utah is beyond me. We had so much fun, and found some great stuff at amazing prices!(i.e. Spanx for $8 reg $30!)

Me and Laura about to go into Last Chance!

After we shopped til we dropped,(Ha, I'm lame!) we went to go see Kristi. It was very hard for me to see her like that. It broke my heart to see her suffering. But the happiness that this CD my mom made is bringing to her is unbelievable. She just cried when she heard it, which in turn made the rest of us cry. She is an unbelievably strong lady! Here are some pics of my mom and Kristi.



After we saw Kristi, we went to go see some of my mom's brothers. First is my mom and my Uncle Garrick.

Then we went and saw my Uncle Matt.


THEN, we went and saw my Aunt Janice,(my Dad's sister) and my cousins Jaclyn and Christina with their kids Westin, Lana, and Arayas.

Lana, Laura, and my mom.

Christina and Arayas

Jaclyn and Westin

All and all it was a very short trip,(we came back Sunday)but we were able to see alot of our family, and see Kristi as well. It was so much fun to be with my 2 best friends. Love you Laura and Mom!


P.S. Sorry some of these pics aren't clear. My camera sucks!

5 comments:

Brian and Emily said...

I think what your mom is doing is amazing! My mom was diagnosed with stage 3 Breast Cancer 4 weeks after Josh was born. Watching a parent a child a friend battle cancer is one of the hardest things to understand and a lot of times you wonder how could this happen why does this happen to the best people? Although it has been almost 4 years since the first surgery we are starting to put things back together. She will always live in fear that the cancer will return and every morning she sees the scars left behind but is happy to still be here with us. I pray that Kristi will over come it will be a long and difficult battle for her family and friends. Good luck!

CAMI said...

Wow! I dont know what else to say - I read about Kristi- thats hard! Thats neat your mom is doing a cd for her.
PS I am glad you liked new moon- I was really disappointed in twilight.

Melynn said...

Sounds like an eventful and meaningful trip. I still remember how beautifully your mom sings from when she sang in seminary. What a great gift a CD of her singing would be.

Angela said...

You, your mom, and sister are sooooo beautiful! I bet people tell you guys that all the time. I'm so sorry about your friend! Best wishes!

Katie said...

That is awesome! You guys are beautiful.

Yes we must get together during X-Mas break. Plan on it!! I'll call you!