Ok, so everyone who knows me well knows that I have a major sweet tooth, and that popcorn is my fav thing to snack on. Well, with Kassi, I don't give her sweets often, but I don't totally forbid her to have them, either. I think one reason I am kinda a junk food fanatic is because my parents were very strict about what us kids ate when we were young. There is nothing wrong with that, except for the fact that my mom would hide candy in her room.(Sorry Mom!) So, when I was old enough to realize that was the case, I would spend most of my spare time as a child, when my mom wasn't looking, in search of sweets. That is why I decided to give Kassi sweets every now and then, and not make it a big deal. It has actually worked out great. She never asks for candy unless she sees someone else eating it, and I try to never eat snacks in front of her.(I know! I'm a total hypocrite!)
Well, like I said my fav thing to snack on is popcorn. So a couple nights a week I will pop a bag to snack on after we put Kassi to bed, and Brad and I are catching up on our DVR'd shows. I try to get Brad to eat some, but I seriously, most of the time, can consume a whole bag myself. I'm really outta control!
Anyway,(sorry, I'm totally rambling here!)last month, I had just popped a bag of popcorn and was about to head downstairs, when I heard Kassi calling me from down the hall. I go in her room and ask her what's wrong. She said,"Mommy. I smell something." I was like,"Really? What do you smell?"(thinking maybe she had let a little toot or something.)And she says,"I smell popcorn." Seriously, that child has had popcorn maybe 5 times in her life! She asked,"Why you making popcorn?" I said I was going to eat it for a snack. She then said she wanted some. I said no, it was bedtime. She said,"You make some for me when I wake up?" I agreed, knowing she would, 1.Throw a fit and not go to sleep if I didn't agree, and 2. She would forget by the morning.
She wakes up, and what do you think is the first thing she asks for? Yup. The popcorn. I told her she had to eat breakfast first, and then I would pop some. What was I supposed to do? Tell her no when I already told her I would? She's almost 4. Her memory is becoming alot sharper.
So the next couple times I would make popcorn, I would do it when I thought for sure she was sleeping. Nope, doesn't work! That child has some kind of heightened sense of smell. So guess what? I have stopped popping popcorn so much. Which is probably a good thing.
So, tonight, Kassi went down finally around 9:30pm,(she was at Grandma's for awhile.) I was catching up on reading everyone's blogs, and got a sweet tooth. So at about 10:30 I grabbed a Mounds chocolate egg that was left over from Easter. I was just finishing swallowing it when I heard,"Mommy!" I went in her room and knelt by her bed and asked her why she wasn't asleep. The first thing that comes out of her mouth is,"Mommy, what are you eating?" I just busted up! I told her nothing, knowing where this was going. She laughed thinking my 'joke' was funny, and asked again. "What are you eating? Are you eating candy?" I seriously just kept laughing. What is wrong with my child? How in the world can she smell these things? I told her I was eating some chocolate. No need to hide anything from her. She'll figure it out anyway. Then she asks,"I have some when I wake up tomorrow?" My response,"Ummmmmmmm, we'll see."
I guarantee tomorrow the first thing she will do when she wakes up is ask for some candy. I know I'll give in, after breakfast, but I guess it could be worse, right?
9 comments:
that is a cute little story. It sounds like you have a darling daughter.
hahaha! that is hilarious. and i'll send ya an email later today and catch ya up on everything here.
This story is so funny. She is your own little the Sweet Tooth police... If that were the case in our house I would be being busted every night!
oh my gosh that is so funny! you are so good to do this, I am quite the opposite! Sad but true! I have a major sweet tooth and by the way Scarlett, craving and eating popcorn is not considered having a sweet tooth! Nice try you gorgeous skinny girl!
so cute! so glad to know I'm not the only late night candy eater!
Scar, you can afford to eat all the chocolate and popcorn you want! If I were you with your little body, I would have my pantry stacked with junk!!!! :)
That's awesome!! If Maleia catches on to that like Kassi I'm in BIG trouble! What a great story! Thanks for sharing! You make me laugh!
I love your attitude about candy!! It's such a fine line with kids, but I think it's better to err on the side of too much then not enough. When I was teaching school I saw some kids that never got candy and it wasn't a good thing!!! I am all about healthy eating though, so I get how it's hard to not give too much!! I love that Kassi smells it!! It's like she is living for candy!!
Oh my gosh! That is too funny!!!! She is way too smart for her own good! Trust me, giving Kassi popcorn and chocolate a couple of times/week is NOT bad! I think Zach & Danny have some kind of sugary treat, whether it's cookies, chocolate, or pop-tarts, every day!!! (Don't tell your parents! ha, ha!)
Post a Comment