The week before Christmas my mom was asked to sing in a quartet for the First Presidency Christmas Luncheon. She was told she could bring someone. My dad had recently had surgery, and he wasn't able to go, so my mom asked ME! I was elated. So excited to go. But nothing compared to the feeling that I was going to get actually being there.
We got there early so they could rehearse. As I sat there listening to the beautiful songs, I thought, I am going to see the prophet in a few minutes. The thought overwhelmed me so much it almost brought me to tears. I know, sounds kinda dumb, but I love President Monson. I feel like he is a member of my family that I only ever get to see from a long distance.
Well, we had to leave the room for a bit so they could continue to rehearse when people started arriving. As we walked back into the large room, I was amazed at what I saw. Not only did I see the prophet, but all the apostles and their wives. The spirit that was in that room was so strong. Our table was right in front. Sitting on the table next to me was President Packer. Sitting on the table next to him was President Monson. The rest of the General Authorities were kinda spread throughout the room. But we were the table closest to the exit, so whenever someone walked by we were able to talk to them.
By the end of the luncheon, I had talked with so many apostles, but not with President Monson, yet. He was sitting there with a small group of people, and my mom and me decided to go shake his hand. As we waited for our turn, I started feeling a little dumb. I was thinking he was probably ready to go, and I didn't want to hold him here. As I was thinking this it became our turn. He was sitting down, and looked up at us and said, "I am surrounded by tall people." And he laughed and smiled that genuine smile, and I instantly felt loved. He stood up to talk to us, and nothing profound was said, but that experience has forever changed me.
Not wanting to get all preachy and stuff, but I have to express my love for my prophet. President Monson truly is the Lord's mouthpiece and I am grateful for his ability to lead our church. And I know he loves us. I felt that love radiating from him when I spoke to him.
Thanks for letting me share this experience with you all. It is one that I never want to forget!
7 comments:
what a wonderful experience. you are so blessed to have a talented mom so that you have those opportunities. we are blessed to have a prophet !!! i need to be a better missionary! love you honey, thanks for sharing.
wow! what an awesome experience! just being in the same room even! what a great opportunity you had! I too believe President Monson is the Lord's mouthpiece!
I've had the opportunity to meet him on a couple of occassions, he truely is amazing! His presence is so powerful, it's hard to imagine anyone could doubt the truth after meeting him!
OH my goodness you were so close to achieving a life-long dream of mine!! You shouldn't HUGGED him!! I have always wanted to hug the prophet. One day....you watch... :)
That is so neat! I would have loved to have been there. You described it perfectly! Thanks for sharing!
What an amazing experiance. You are one lucky lady!! I love everything is going well for you! We miss you!
Soooo awesome. Thanks for sharing it. Love that you have the song on too....
I want to talk to you about the whole baby thing. . . I'll get your number and call you soon. . .
Post a Comment