Saturday, July 30, 2011

First Shot

Tonight was the first shot. Whoa. Kinda interesting. In my last post I was obviously very stressed about all the shots. Well, this last week has put things into perspective for me.

I got really sick. Sicker than I have been in a long time. I got strep, and then some virus in my ears, sinuses, and chest, then I got pink eye. I have NEVER had pink eye before. I was like what the crap is going on? With all that going on my father-in-law fell down some stairs and shattered both his feet and has been in the hospital. Oh, and Brad was gone for a couple days at Youth Conference. I'm telling you. The best week, ever.

Well I was talking to one of my friends on the phone, and she was like, "Don't you start your shots on Saturday?" I had totally forgot. Holy cow. That was this week. So, I figured the Lord did some things this week to put things into perspective for me. I had so many other things to think about, I no longer felt stressed about the shots. The Lord works in mysterious ways.

Well, the day finally came, and we had had kinda a training with our nurse on how to do the shots, but there is an online video you can watch as well. So Brad got out our laptop and turned on the video. Surprisingly I was totally calm. Brad was getting a little ornery but I assume that's cause he was a little stressed.

Well, the time came when I squeezed the fat on my stomach, and as Brad got the needle closer, I panicked. Ya, Brad was staying calm, and my hands wouldn't stop shaking. The needle really isn't that big, but the thought of Brad putting the needle in my stomach was not sitting well with me. Brad told me to calm down. So I closed my eyes, took a deep breath, and told him to do it.

The needle going in wasn't too bad. It hurt, but I can take it. Well, when he took it out, that is when it really started to hurt. I put the gauze on it cause it was bleeding a little. But it also felt like it was hot. And then the area got red, started to itch, and the injection site started to swell. Brad started to get nervous that he didn't put the needle in all the way, and I started to get nervous that I was having an allergic reaction. They tell you how to do the shot, but they don't tell you what is going to happen after.

So we decided to call the on call nurse. I told her the situation. She said the redness and itching is normal, but the swelling isn't so much. She told me to call her if it got bigger.

Well, I am happy to say, it is pretty much back to normal. Phew. This is so nervewracking! I've never received a shot without a medical professional around. All the needles and swabs and wipes and medicines. It's crazy!

Luckily right now we are only doing one shot a night. In a couple weeks we will be starting more. But as for right now I will just focus on this one. Taking it one day at a time. It overwhelms me to think I will be having shots in my stomach for another 3 weeks. But then I think, Holy cow. I am going to get pregnant next month, and it makes every single one of these shots worth it.

4 comments:

Sara said...

Good job on the shot! I'm sure they will only get easier.
I'm so sorry about your rough week!! I should have been babysitting and bringing you meals...what a rotten neighbor!

Katie said...

You are so brave Scarlett. THinking of you :)

Natalie said...

Hugs and Kisses to you! If you need anything, let me know, and I MEAN IT!!

Bouchizzle said...

I'm thinking about you and hope that these few weeks go quickly and you have a happy 9 months!! Good luck with everything -- you are so very brave!